Silver fillings have been around for hundreds of years, dating back to the 1840s. The technical name for them is amalgam and they are about 50% mercury.
In the 1980s, white composite materials were developed and found to be durable enough to serve as fillings on back teeth.
Huntsville dentist, Dr. Jayashree Srinivasan, prefers the white composite fillings for their advantages of this mercury-free option.
Advantages of mercury-free composite fillings
- They bond to the tooth, strengthening it.
- There is less tooth sensitivity following the procedure. Amalgam fillings will typically leave your tooth hypersensitive to temperature for several weeks. Composite fillings actually act as an insulator.
- Less of the tooth’s structure has to be removed. With amalgam, all weakened tooth structure has to be removed. Since composite bonds to the tooth, any weakened parts will be strengthened and don’t have to be drilled away.
- They seal adjoining parts of the tooth, protecting it from future decay.
- They blend with the tooth’s natural color and are much more attractive.
If you have experienced tooth decay, and are in need of a filling, call our office or visit our request an appointment page. If you’re not ready to commit to a paid examination but would like a chance to meet Dr. Srinivasan and our staff and get a tour of our office, call and we can schedule a complimentary visit.